Friday, February 17, 2012

I Found The Man Of My Dreams Online




I was a recently divorced single woman in my early 50's and I like so many of my friends turned to online dating for a solution. Because of my age, I really didn't think I had much of a chance of meeting  anyone online. Even so, convinced by my friends and sisters, I jumped in with both feet. I made my profile, and had my sisters pick out some of the best photos of me. I am such a Luddite with computers that I had to actually get a friend to upload the photos that my sister selected for my profile. At that point, I just sat back and waited to see what would happen, not expecting too much.

It did not take too long before I was in the thick of things, getting responses, emailing people and setting up dates to meet people if they passed the test I made up for myself. As I got more comfortable with a few of them, I faced the dilemma of having to meet them face to face at some point. The question was where? I finally decided on a restaurant that I knew a few blocks from where I worked. Since I knew some of the staff, I felt safer there than any other place I could think of. With all the e-mails, messages, in person meetings and phone calls I was exhausted.Interacting with all of these men was exciting, but it was mentally exhausting as well. Keeping them all straight was difficult. I finally resorted to opening a diary for each on my computer and reviewing it before I talked to each of them. It was lots of work, but I kept at it. I wasn’t sure how long I could keep this pace up, but I was determined that after a twenty year relationship that ended two years ago I was not going to spend the rest of my life alone.

I loved being one half of a couple, and I desperately wanted that again. After all that activity, one man really piqued my interest. His profile was very well done. He didn't appear to be high on himself. He said that he believed in equality for women and that he was in touch with his feminine side. At first I thought he was gay, but that was not the case at all. He was just a very caring person who believed that women were not second class citizens. He indicated to me that a lot of his change in mind set came about from being stationed in Europe for many years. Some countries he had been to did not treat women as well as others. In fact, some countries had definite social castes that was abhorrent to him. In any event, he had been transferred back fairly recently recently, and had been going out of his way to make sure people knew the slippery slope that oppressing one part of society can do to the overall mores of society as a whole.

I had traveled to Europe several times. On top of this, we both shared a love of most winter sports. We often chatted about our impression of various cities, and which ski resorts did we like the best.  His profile had no picture on it, so at no point in our early interactions was I chasing a pretty face. It was his communication ability and points of view that won my respect. When he later emailed me a picture of himself, I was not disappointed. When we first decided to talk over the phone, I was nervous about giving him my number. I convinced him to give me his instead. At first I was too nervous to call him after he gave me his number. I finally did get around to calling him, but it took me a while. It was good that I did.

“He was fantastic, charming so sweet and such a gentleman. He was just so amazing. In real life he was even better than online. So sweet, and always a gentleman. He turned out to be an incredibly sweet and charming guy. Always a gentleman. We made arrangements to meet at a very nice restaurant, I arrived first and sat at the table starring at the door, crossing my fingers that I was not going to regret this. As I looked towards the door, in walked this gorgeous hunk of a man. Before he came over, he looked at me from across the room. As he stood there, I absorbed the fact that he had dark hair, almost black, with just a touch of grey at the temples. Almost like professor X in the Xmen comics. I was in complete awe. We talked and laughed and shared some personal stories. Time was streaming by but I could not stop it. I did not want it to have to end. In that short time we spent together I had the time of my life.  We left after he paid the bill. I noticed that he left a nice tip as well. He kissed me when we got to my house. As he drove away, I sighed. Everything was just too good to be true. The chemistry for me had been instantaneous. I already knew that he was the one.

Each date we had after that one seemed better than the last. I knew it had to plateau at some time, but for the present I was just riding the wave. But something began to bother me. I had not been exactly truthful about my age in my profile. My friends had put me up to it. They said that everyone exaggerates a bit when selling something, and after all, your profile is your sales pitch. I guess they sucked me into it. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. I had not changed my age all that much, only three years. It was the principle of the thing. I had started out with a lie and I was concerned that it would end up blowing up in my face. I decided to tell him the truth when I felt the time was right.

We went to a small bar one evening for a drink. The waiter is a friend of his so when he asked to see my I.D I knew that Max (my honey) had put him up to it. In the spirit of the moment, I pulled out my license to show him, and we all chuckled. Max put out his hand and the waiter just passed him my license. He glanced at it, and then took a second look. He stared at me and said, “Wow! It says here you are fifty four!” I sat their like a stunned cow. He then sat down and started to laugh. When I asked what was so funny, he said that the joke was on him. He had lied about his age as well. As it turned out he was older than he stated in his profile. It seems he's two years older than me and not two years younger. We spent the next few minutes talking and laughing about the fact that we both had been caught.

We had been dating for several months. In the wee hours of the morning, he called me. I was startled out of a very deep sleep where I was dreaming about cavorting around with him in our mutual all-togethers. He needed to say something to me and it could not wait. He insisted on coming over immediately. Half an hour later he came in, sat down and said, “I have something to say to you that can't be put off any longer.” I thought to myself, “Oh God this can't be good.”

I grabbed a few kleenex from a box because I was sure this was going to be bad. Well I needed them, but in a good way. He sat there and told me that he had traveled to many countries and had met and dated countless women. But he had never felt a kinship with any of them until he met me. He said that after all this time, he finally found the woman that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. Then he got down on one knee and asked for my hand in marriage. I had to say yes. I mean what else could I do. I was madly in love with him.

We have been married three years, and so far its been wonderful, successful and fantastic, I feel like such a lucky women to have Max in my life. We are on a perpetual honeymoon. I will never think of online dating sites in the lowly terms that I used to perceive them. I now only think of them in superlative terms. After all, I met the most perfect man in the world on one.

I will not say that things between Max and me are always perfect. Sometimes they are even better than perfect if you can imagine such a thing. I will be perpetually grateful to the online dating industry, and in particular the specific site I joined for bringing Max into my life. If you have negative opinions about Internet dating, you need to consider revising them. Websites that specialize in online dating are the future of meeting people. They are the one of the most amazing success stories of the Internet revolution.
Please find below a link to a dating and relationships resource site. You will find that it is well organized with links to many of the top dating sites on the Internet. There are also a lot of good tips and advice type articles as well. I wish you the best in your search!

Dating Advice

No comments:

Post a Comment


Having Fun